Rules of Engagement for Students Using GeiselAlumni
Welcome students! DMS alumni are genuinely interested in being information and networking contacts for you, their future colleagues. Whether it’s a response to a question about the pros and cons of a particular medical specialty, last-minute advice before a residency interview, sharing personal reminiscences about DMS “in their day," our DMS alumni are here for you.
Contact with these busy people is a privilege. When using the GeiselAlumni online community, students are asked to remember the following rules of engagement:
- In any communication with alumni, please immediately identify yourself as a current DMS student.
- Be clear and direct about the purpose of your contact.
- Where possible, send an initial written communication rather than making a “cold” phone call, even if a phone conversation to answer your question is your ultimate goal.
- Be courteous and professional in all your encounters.
- Follow through on the specifics of any conversation or communication.
- Do not use the GeiselAlumni search function or the GeiselAlumni Specialty Network to collect contact information to send mass e-mails or broadcast communications for any purpose. Violators of this request will be removed as users of the network.
- Do not use GeiselAlumni to request general information about residency, internship, or fellowship programs. Use the appropriate official contacts in the particular institutions.
- You may ask an alumna/us about his or her impressions of a program in which he or she studied or trained.
- Remember to thank your alumni contact for his or her assistance.
Remember, as DMS students, you are ambassadors for Dartmouth Medical School. Your online and personal communications can influence alumni perceptions of your – and their – medical school. Give us feedback on your interactions or let us know if you have any questions.